main guardroom for safekeeping. Then back to the N.A.A.F.I. again to see it was all locked up for the night. I then returned to the main guardroom to sleep. I was awakened about 0530 hours. I would proceed to the cookhouse to collect a dixie of tea and take it to the SPs in the guardroom up the end of the lane to the camp. Back now to collect the standard and hoist it again near the control tower. My duty as Orderly Corporal was then over. I certainly did a bit of cycling on that duty.

Whenever we went over the airfield to service the Liberators we would have to cross the end of the runway but before we crossed we would always wait for a green light from the control tower. In the summer months or if it became warm we would walk over the fields to Rhosneigr and buy an ice cream or cold drink.

One day another chap arrived in the section. His name was Al Stone, he lived at Burton-on-Trent. As we were both Midlanders we became friends. Whenever we got a long weekend leave pass, the day before we would go to a farm owned by a Mrs Jones, her husband was away in the Merchant Navy. She would let us have some eggs to take home. Al would also go out on the airfield and pick mushrooms and I know that they still grow there to this day. In the evenings we would sometimes walk along the lane to the village of Bodedem to a little pub there. I remember inside the pub was rather dark; the only illumination was by oil lamps. Or perhaps go for fish and chips at a shop in Caergiliog. Saturday evening we would either go to Bangor or Colwyn Bay, there would maybe be a dance on, or perhaps have a meal and a drink, then get a train back to Rhosneigr, then walk along the tracks back to the camp.

Al was due to be demobbed about three weeks before I was but he deferred it so that we could go together. On 15th August 1946 we left Valley and arrived at the home of "Bull", R.A.F. Uxbridge.† We only spent the night there and next day were taken to Wembley Stadium. There we chose some civilian clothes. I chose a grey pin-stripe suit and a green trilby hat. I don't remember having a topcoat. We then picked up any pay due to us, a travel warrant and our Service Release Book (which I still have). We came out of Wembley Stadium carrying a cardboard box tied up with string Ė anyone could tell you had just been demobbed by the cardboard box. We then got a train to "Brum" and there I said goodbye to my friend Al Stone.

I must say that I enjoyed my stay at Valley. It was a nicely situated station, although at the time it wasn't really appreciated.

I had 13 weeks leave with pay and I took and enjoyed every one of them before starting back at my pre-War occupation of manufacturing jewellery. So ended my R.A.F. service of about five and a half years.



On 22nd September 1994, my 73rd birthday, thanks to my niece Sheila, I was invited back to R.A.F Valley and escorted round the station by C.R.O. John Phillips. A truly memorable day. I have attended two 46 Squadron reunions and met a few old comrades. I have also seen the colours of 46 Squadron hanging in Chichester Cathedral. I have also visited the site of the airfield at High Ercall in Shropshire.


Text Box: No 46 Squadron RFC and RAF
We Rise to Conquer